Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Inspired by Chevrons - Part 4: The Faux Polo

The Faux Polo. It all started with this great pattern from Jalie; pattern 3137 Men's Polo Shirts. Though it says "Men's" on the cover it is really men's and boys'. This pattern runs from a size 2 boys through adult men's size 22! That is twenty-seven sizes in all. Whoa! Seriously, it is almost the only shirt pattern you will ever need if you have boys you sew for. My boys are only 7 and 9 but they are quickly outgrowing children's sized patterns. So I was more than excited to find a pattern that will continue to grow with them...and maybe let me sew for the hubs too ;) 
Jalie also has some pattern available in PDF format online here. But, alas, this was not one of them.
The pictures on the front of that pattern weren't that appealing to me, but it was the possibilities I saw in this pattern that sold me. I LOVE military style clothing...collars, buttons, tabs, double breasted...whether it is for boys or girls. This pattern has these great shoulder tabs that drew me in.
Chevrons also happen to be very military-esque! And so I found myself inspired...and my shirt chevronized.


The faux part of this polo shirt comes from the modification I made at the neckline. Instead of using a traditional collar, like in the pattern, I used the collar stand pattern piece to make this mock collar. Next time I may widen it just a smidgen, but I still like it all the same. I also shortened the button placket. I made the placket just long enough for my son to get his head through. I think the shirt has a less formal feel this way.


There are optional chest pockets in this pattern. I chose to make a pocket in the smallest size and move it on over to the sleeve. A perfect little pocket for a car, or Pokemon cards, or rocks. A very boyish kind of thing for sure.


After I looked at the pictures I had taken I thought this shirt almost had a race car driver kind of vibe. I think the baseball cap was what did it. Well, even if that wasn't what I was going for my son sure that it was a cool look to have. Win!


Keep checking back through the month of June for more chevron ideas. We will have guests joining us this month! Lot of fun stuff coming. You won't want to miss it!
Get inspired by visiting the Inspired by Chevrons Flickr group. Add a picture of your chevron project for a chance to be featured! Everyone is invited. That means you! Yeah, you. I will pick a new feature each Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment